Have you ever encountered the error notification, when you try to plug-in a USB device to the USB port of your computer or laptop? When you have such problems, the connection is terminated and you cannot access the data on that device. Is it means your device is damaged? the ports of your laptop or computer are damaged? There can be any reason behind it. Now let’s see how to fix the USB ports of your computer or laptop.
Here are some methods you can use to fix ports of your laptop or computer
1) Restart your laptop:
Sometimes the problem gets fixed by using simple ways. A simple reboot can fix the unrecognized USB device. Simply take out the USB device, wait for some time, and now restart your laptop or computer. Again plug-in USB device. If it works then lucky you!! Now you don’t need to worry, your problem is fixed.
If this couldn’t solve your problem then you can try the below methods.
2) Plug into another USB port:
The Computer and laptop have more than one USB port. Thus, you can use another USB port in your system and get your work done. If the other USB port also not working then the problem might be serious. You need to look at it.
3) Check the power:
If none of the USB devices is working in any of the USB port, verify that the power requirements of the bus are not being exceeded. The USB device may draw a maximum of 500 milliamps per connection. If the device draws less than 50 milliamps, the port never becomes active.
4) Re-install USB drivers:
You can try to uninstall all USB ports from your system with Device Manager. Windows will automatically re-install the USB drivers when the system is restart.
Follow the steps to do it
- Firstly on your keyboard press the Windows logo key +R together to get a run box. Then type devmgmt.msc in the box and click OK.
- Now double click the Universal Serial Bus Controllers to get the drop-down list.
- Right-click the USB root hub device in the list and select uninstall the device.
- Repeat the above steps for each root hub device in the list of Universal Serial Bus Controllers and uninstall each hub.
Restart your laptop, and see if the USB ports work again.
5) Update USB drivers:
Sometimes USB drivers get outdated and this can be the reason why USB ports are not working properly. Your USB drivers need an update. If you are not confident about how to download the updated USB driver and are worried about what will happen if you download the wrong one, then you can do it automatically with Driver Easy.
Driver Easy will automatically recognize your system and find the correct drivers for your system. You don’t need to know exactly what system your computer is running, you don’t have to risk downloading and installing the wrong driver. You can update your drivers automatically with either the Free or Pro version of Driver Easy, but with a pro version, it takes just 2 clicks (you will get full support and 30 days money-back guarantee).
Download and install Driver Easy
- Run Driver Easy and click Scan Now button, Driver Easy will scan your system and detect if there are some problems in the drivers.
- Click the Update button next to the flagged USB driver this will automatically download the correct version of this driver, now you can manually install it.
- You can also click update all to automatically download and re-install the drivers which are outdated (this facility is available only with the pro version).
Restart your system to get the work done.
Now check if the USB ports are working properly. If they are working properly then your problem is fixed now.
6) Disable USB selective suspend:
You can try to disable USB selective suspend. USB selective suspend prevents your computer from using too much power by putting certain USB ports in a low power state. By disabling this feature your problem of USB ports might be solved.
- Type Choose a power plan in the search box and select choose a power plan.
- Now you will see the plan set you are having, click on change the plan set.
- Click Change advanced power setting
- Double click the USB setting, then double click the USB selective suspend setting.
(Note: If you are using a laptop, click on battery, then click Disabled from the dropped down menu).
- Click Enabled to expand the drop-down list, then select the Disabled option. Finally, click Apply and OK to save the changes.
Now check if your system USB ports are working properly or not.
7) Remove your laptop battery:
If the problem is not solved now also, then you can try to remove the battery of your laptop. Many users have said they have resolved the issue by removing the battery of the laptop. Then they pressed the power button for at least 30 sec or more.
By this capacitors will discharge completely. Some users also recommend leaving the laptop turned off without a battery overnight to let the capacitors fully discharge.
After doing this, the problem might get solved.
8) Check for loose or broken internal connection:
One way to test this is to insert your USB device and then gently wiggle the connection. If it connects and disconnects then, there may be a physical problem with the USB port of the cable. Then you must take it to a professional person.
9) Reset the system management controller (Mac):
If you have a Mac, then resetting the system management controller (SMC) may fix your problem.
Resetting the System manage controller for Mac
- Shut down the computer
- Plug-in the power adapter
- Press and hold shift+control+option and then press the power button
- Hold all keys for 10 seconds
- Release the power button and keys at the same time
- Now press the power button
- When the Mac starts backup, then SMC will have reset
- Check if USB ports are working or not.
10) Try the Windows troubleshooting tool:
This tool will help you to find any conflicts on your computer.
Click on setting>updates & security>Click on troubleshooter>Run the troubleshooter.
I hope these methods work for you or else you have to go to a professional person.
Also Read: HOW TO FIX LENOVO CAMERA NOT WORKING IN WINDOWS 10